Made of Sweet Sunshine
Coconut Lemon Bar Recipe
Stop what you are doing and go make these sweet creamy treats. Your tastebuds will thank you. Your family will celebrate you. People will come for miles just to watch you make them.
These lovely ladies just remind me of the summer sun on my skin. They are fresh and filled with a perfect balance of tart and sweet. As with all of the recipes that are being shared here, these bars are plant-based. That means, you will not find any eggs, butter, or milk in them. However, don't let that scare you away. Everyone is sure to love them.
Made of Sweet Sunshine Coconut Lemon Bars
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until smooth and creamy. Add flour and mix until well incorporated.
Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
The Lemon Curd
In a food processor mix tofu, lemon juice, zest, and granulated sugar and process until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as necessary.
Add the powdered sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract and process again until combined.
Pour into cooled crust and bake for another 25-30 minutes until lemon curd has set. (see note)
Let cool at room temperature for 20 minutes and then place in the refrigerator to cool all the way.
Dust with powdered sugar and/or toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup - vegan butter (or regular if you don't mind the dairy)
- 1/4 cup - granulated sugar
- 1 tsp - lemon zest
- 1 cup - all-purpose flour
- 1 package, 12 oz extra firm silken tofu, liquid drained (see note)
- 1/2 cup - fresh lemon juice, about 5-6 lemons
- 1 tsp - lemon zest
- 1 cup - granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup - powdered sugar
- 2 tbs - cornstarch
- 1 tsp - coconut extract
- 1/2 cup - toasted coconut flakes (for topping)
- If you have never cooked with tofu before, don't let this intimidate you. It is just like a sponge and will soak up the flavor of whatever you season it with. In this case, that is the sweetness from the sugar and tartness from the lemons. YUM!
- You may need to bake the lemon bars longer than the mentioned 25-30 minutes. Check them and keep cooking if needed.